Brian K. Abels
Brian K. Abels grew up in the small town of Springfield, Louisiana. After graduating from Springfield High School, Brian attended LSU in Baton Rouge. He graduated from LSU with a Bachelor of Criminal Justice degree in 1992. After graduation, Brian worked as state director of a federally funded private non-profit corporation, MET, Inc., for two years before returning to LSU to attend law school.
While in law school, Brian was a member of the 1996-97 Appellate Advocacy Board, which was reserved for a select few students who excelled in the appellate advocacy program at the LSU Law Center. He was also a finalist in the 1996-97 Robert Lee Tullis Moot Court Competition. As a finalist, Brian was one of only four students in his class to have the honor of arguing before the Louisiana Supreme Court. Brian graduated in 1997 and was admitted to practice in all Louisiana State Courts, as well as the Louisiana Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of the United States District Courts and the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeal. In 2008, Brian was honored with admission to practice before the United States Supreme Court and has had past litigation on the Court’s docket.
During his years of practice, Brian has obtained a vast amount of litigation experience. His practice concentrates on automobile liability, business litigation, construction law, insurance coverage, municipal liability, personal injury, premises and landlord liability, sexual abuse cases, subrogation, uninsured motorist claims, and workers’ compensation. He has litigated cases in state and federal district courts throughout Louisiana and has conducted oral argument in several state appellate courts and the Louisiana Supreme Court. Brian is also a registered Louisiana Civil Mediator and has joined the panel of mediators at Mediation Arbitration Professional Systems, Inc. (MAPS).
Brian resides in Denham Springs, Louisiana, with his wife and son. He is on the Board of Directors and the Executive Board for the Livingston Parish Chamber of Commerce. He will serve as Board Chairman in 2016. In 2008, Brian was recognized as Chamber Member of the Year. Brian is also an active member of Hebron Baptist Church and has served the church in many roles throughout the years.
Areas of Practice
- Automobile Accidents
- Business Litigation
- Construction Law
- Insurance Coverage Issues
- Insurance Defense
- Personal Injury
- Personal Injury Defense
- Sexual Abuse Cases
- Successions and Wills
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Louisiana, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1997
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1997
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1997
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. – 1997
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- B.C.J. – 1992
- Major: Criminal Justice
- Amerisure Insurance Company
- Amerisure Mutual Insurance Company
- Avis/Budget Rent-A-Car
- Broadspire, a Crawford company
- Charter Communications, Inc.
- Cox Communications
- XL Specialty Insurance Company
- Settling Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims, NBI, 2008
- Handling Complex Auto Insurance Coverage Disputes, NBI, 2011
- Selected Issues in Louisiana Insurance Law, Kemper, 2012
- Can You Say That? BRBA, 2014
- Appellate Mediation, MAPS, 2015
- Insurance Bad Faith – Defenses & Ethics, NBI, 2015